Everyone has had their share of carbonated drinks. But very few know what really makes these drinks so fizzy. Soda water is the secret ingredient giving all carbonated drinks their bubbly appearance.
Soda water is simply plain water with a certain amount of carbon dioxide, baking soda and a few additives dissolved in it. The process is called carbonation and takes place in all large scale industries making soft drinks. It is the main component is all fizzy drinks. The ‘gas’ that comes out when a cold drink bottle is opened, is indeed the carbon dioxide being released from the soda water.
Making soda water at home is not difficult at all. Anyone can do it; in fact it does not require too much effort and gives little something extra to homemade smoothies and juices. So, here are some quick and simple ways to make your own soda water using a soda maker, and use it to create extra yummy drinks at home.
What to do:
• The first thing that you need to make soda water is a seltzer bottle.
• A very easy recipe involves your normal tap water mixed with some baking soda at home.
• What you need to do is keep the tap water in the refrigerator to chill it.
• Once the water is cool enough, pour it in the seltzer bottle.
• Add in just about a quarter to half teaspoon of baking soda or sodium bicarbonate.
• A little carbon dioxide also needs to be introduced.
• Once all three have been added the bottle should once more be placed in the refrigerator to prevent the carbon dioxide from escaping.
• You should only take it out when you need to use soda water as an ingredient.
• You should always check the pH of the soda water. Adding carbon dioxide to the water makes it slightly acidic, baking soda is added to neutralize it, too much can turn the pH the other way. Checking the pH will help you make sure of it.
The uses of soda water are plenty. Apart from being used by industries to make soft drinks, it is also used in plain water to make it a little bubbly and give it a better taste. It has been added to juices and cocktails and is also used to dilute some drinks like fruit squash.
At times a little salt is added to the soda water to give it a slight salty taste. While it can also be bought from the market, it can cost you very much if you need soda water frequently. In that case, it is advisable to go for homemade soda water.
Soda water is also called sparkling water because of the fizzy bubbly appearance it has. The taste is also slightly different than regular water and if added to homemade drinks, it can certainly enhance the flavor. It has been used as the key component of fizzy drinks for centuries after the discovery of carbonated water was found to be ‘refreshing’ for those who drank it. Thus, the foundation of the modern day soft drinks was laid which today is a billion dollar industry responsible for giving famous drinks like Pepsi and Coca Cola their signature fizziness.
After you've learned about the soda maker, let me advice you about a new way to read your books and magazines. Yes, it's a different topic and a new item but if you want to know how too can read any book you desire, anywhere at any time without having the actual books with you then you need to learn about the new Kindle wireless reading device which can store up to 3,500 books and magazines for you and it weights less than an actual paperback. Find out more at Kindle3g.org.uk if this interests you.
Home Soda Making
Articles on Soda Making
- Saving Money with a Home Soda Maker